Organized and detail-oriented Senior Technical Writer with excellent planning, scheduling, researching, writing, and editing skills. Ability to work well as part of a team and independently. Proven capability to meet tight deadlines. Ability to design and implement creative solutions to complex technical problems.
Documentation project planning
Online help system development
Print documentation development
Agile development team experience
Source control maintenance
Technical library creation
FemtoMetrix | Irvine, CA June 2018 – September 2018
Contract Senior Technical Writer
Created Installation, User’s, and Maintenance Manuals for Harmonic Laser Metrology Systems that are used to detect non-visual defects during the fabrication of semiconductor products.
- Completed release versions Installation, User’s, and Maintenance Manuals on time for shipment of first FemtoMetrix Metrology System.
- Completed first revisions of Installation and User’s Manuals on time for safety certification inspectors.
- Designed and created a numbered graphics library in Snagit.
- Created and implemented an MS Word template for the company’s first product manual release.
Easton Communications | Costa Mesa, CA July 2017 – April 2018
Contract Senior Technical Writer
As a Contract Senior Technical Writer, planned, developed, and updated user documentation and tutorials for BMS Practice Solutions/WebPT physical therapy practice management web-based browser applications, including billing, EMR, scheduling, and reporting. Accomplishments included:
- Completed an update of the entire set of physical therapy EMR training tutorial videos in Adobe Captivate.
- Created the new training topics in MS Word for their redesigned web-based browser applications.
- Researched and diagnosed knowledge base problems that were limiting user search capabilities.
Duties also included maintaining and updating the style guide, MS Word template, and glossary, as well as creating procedures for trainers, SMEs, and other employees to update the training documentation themselves.
Paciolan (Now Spectra Experiences) | Irvine, CA October 2004 – October 2015
Senior Technical Writer
As a Senior Technical Writer, planned, developed, and maintained online help systems and manuals for ticketing and fundraising software in Windows and web-based browser applications. Participated in the planning of software releases and updates. Planned and developed timely release documentation for 10 unique, full featured software applications. Accomplishments included:
- Transformed Paciolan’s user documentation from paper-based manuals to browser-based online help using both RoboHelp HTML and MadCap Flare. Designed the online help structure and style to meet the needs of end users and require less development time for authors.
- Set up templates and style sheets to generate both online help and print version PDFs from single source RoboHelp and Flare projects.
- Changed Paciolan’s product documentation model from reference-only to task-based content, including concept, procedure, and reference topics. Organized topics by end user work flow.
- Used information mapping techniques to create, organize, and present easy to use and understand end user documentation. Using this method also increased writer productivity by clearly defining the structure, location, and composition of the required content.
- Integrated product bulletin development into the product manual development process to eliminate redundant work and encourage documentation use by end users.
- Created and released feature documentation as part of multiple Agile cross-functional teams.
- Set up and maintained Tomcat and IIS servers to host RoboHelp and MadCap Flare online help.
- Set up and maintained source control for the online help authoring environment to prevent data overwriting and allow multiple authors for single products.
Cadence Design Systems | Irvine, CA January 1997 – December 2003
Senior Technical Writer (Cadence acquired OrCAD who had acquired MicroSim)
As a Senior Technical Writer, planned, developed, and maintained print manuals, online manuals, and online help for PSpice Analog Circuit Simulation and Component Information System (CIS) electronics design automation (EDA) software, as well as web-based Design Environment applications. Participated in the planning of software updates and releases. Accomplishments included:
- Changed the content in the MicroSim PSpice A/D User’s Guide and online help to be procedure-based and structured by work flow. This saved money by significantly reducing calls for technical support and improved customers’ opinions of the company and its products.
- Solved problems of incomplete content, inefficient access to information, and confusing navigation for online help by designing an information type-based HTML help architecture. Completed the first RoboHelp implementation of the architecture for the OrCAD CIS help system.
- Designed and implemented the documentation component of the OrCAD CIS web-based product update system. This system greatly reduced the documentation update lag time for software users and was eventually adopted by all OrCAD products.
- Using RoboHelp HTML, created a full-featured, platform independent help system for the Design Environment web-based application. Used the information type-based HTML help architecture to ensure complete content, efficient access to information, and intuitive navigation.
Varian Semiconductor | Palo Alto, CA January 1991 – September 1996
Senior Technical Writer
Started as an intern and became a Senior Technical Writer in 4 years. Planned, developed, and maintained print and online manuals for semiconductor manufacturing equipment and control systems. Manuals included Facilities, Installation & Acceptance, System Test, Operations, Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Reference, and OEM Compilations. Accomplishments included:
- Integrated manuals, method sheets, CAD drawings, and part lists into a hyperlinked online documentation system in FrameMaker. This satisfied customer demands by allowing paperless operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of thin film systems in semiconductor fabrication facilities.
- Increased technical writer productivity by 25% by becoming an early FrameMaker adopter. Planned for and implemented the conversion of the two main products’ documentation from MS Word. Writer production was increased using FrameMaker’s book making capabilities.
- Created a coding and archiving system to catalog a library of over 2,000 technical illustrations, making existing illustrations easy to find and eliminating time spent recreating existing artwork. This system significantly increased technical illustrator productivity.
- Interviewed, trained, and supervised 8 contract technical writers for work on the FrameMaker online documentation system.
Microsoft Office Suite
Adobe Acrobat Pro
San Jose State University | San Jose, CA 1991
Certificate in Technical Writing
University of California, Irvine | Irvine, CA 1987
Bachelor of Arts in Economics
Member of the Society of Technical Communication (STC)